Education Insurance

When it comes to educational establishments such as schools, colleges and universities, at HISL Brokers Limited we know how important your reputation is to you, which is why we will work with you to provide an education insurance policy that meets your specific needs and provides financial protection in the event that things go wrong.

Read on to find out how you can protect your educational establishment, your staff and your students today.

Your expert Gateway to the Lloyd's and London Market

What is education insurance?

Education providers face a range of risks. As well as providing educational experiences in classrooms, lecture theatres and online, they also provide extra-curricular trips both nationally and internationally for staff and students, and therefore face several health and safety concerns, as well as the threat of terrorism and cyber attacks.

Imagine if a student or member of staff slipped on a wet floor on campus, there was a food poisoning outbreak in your canteen or an accident occurred on a school trip – would your education establishment be able to continue operating in the event of a claim?

Education insurance policies will help protect education providers in the event that something goes wrong and you need support to recover and continue operating.

Do I need education insurance?

If you are responsible for running a school (whether state, independent, primary, secondary or multi-academy trust), college or university, you should consider taking out an insurance policy for educators. Education establishments face a wide range of risks, and an education insurance policy will help to protect your institution in the event that the unexpected happens.

Types of education insurance policies

There are several types of education insurance policies that you could consider for your educational establishments. These include:

  • Buildings cover: Provides cover for your education premises in the event of flooding, a fire or theft.
  • Employers’ liability: This is a legal requirement if you employ any member of staff (including permanent, temporary, contractors or freelancers). The minimum level of protection is £5m, which will cover the cost of compensation claims if they get injured or ill at work.
  • Business interruption insurance:  Provides cover for financial losses if your institution can’t operate from its premises as normal as a result of a fire, major theft or a flood.
  • Business assets insurance: Provides cover for the things that your education establishment needs to operate, such as computers, books and technical equipment.
  • Public liability insurance: Provides protection if your education activities kill or injure a member of the public or damage their property whilst they are visiting your premises.
  • Personal accident and sickness: Provides cover for staff members and students during national and international trips.
  • Fine art cover: Provides cover for any works of art that your educational establishment may own and display.
  • Governors’ liability: Provides governors with protection against legal action being taken against them for personal injury or property damage.
  • School fees refund insurance: This provides cover for independent schools in the event that a pupil is absent due to illness or injury, and allows parents to reclaim a certain amount of the fees they have paid.
  • Private medical cover: Independent schools may wish to provide private medical cover for pupils while they are in their care.
  • Cyber insurance: Provides cover against data breaches or cyber hacks that affect your computer systems and networks.
  • Key man insurance: Provides cover if an essential member of your team (for example your headteacher) is unable to work for you due to reasons such as sickness, disability or death.


These are just examples of some of the types of education insurance policies that we look after at HISL Brokers Limited. As we know that no two education providers are the same, speak to us today to find out which policies will best meet your needs.

The cost of education insurance

At HISL Brokers Limited we understand that cost is important to your educational establishment, but it is crucial to ensure that you are properly protected in line with the risks you face. With that in mind, we will take the time to understand the specific needs of your business and recommend the amount of cover that is best suited to you.

How can I get education insurance?

HISL Brokers Limited have a team of specialist advisers ready to help you get the right protection in place for your educational establishment.  

We will take the time to understand the specific needs of your educational establishment and are committed to delivering a completely personalised service, ensuring that you have the best possible cover at the best possible price.

To find out how much peace of mind costs, contact Paul Kerner, Keith Irwin and team by calling: (0)20 7220 9020.