Country Houses & Estates Insurances

At HISL Brokers Limited we understand how complicated it can be to run a country house or estate, and that country houses and estates insurance needs to be able to meet your unique needs and give you peace of mind as a rural landowner.

If you would like to know more about country houses and estates insurance, read on to find out how HISL Brokers Limited can help to protect your property and business.

Your expert Gateway to the Lloyd's and London Market

What is country houses and estates insurance?

Country houses and estates insurance is also known as mansion insurance or family estate insurance, and cover provided by a policy will ensure that your estate or country house has the protection that it deserves and that it can be enjoyed by future generations for years to come. 

Rather than just covering your property for use as a home, a country houses and estates insurance policy differs from a standard home insurance policy in that it will also insure your property as a workplace, business and place of public interest.

If you own a farm, large historic property, mansion or small country house, country houses and estates insurance will ensure you’re protected against a range of risks, especially in regards to maintenance and rebuilding which can be a key concern for older properties.

What country houses and estates insurance covers

There are several different areas of protection that a policy covers. These include:

  • Public liability insurance:  Provides protection if your business activities kill or injure a member of the public or damage their property.
  • Employers’ liability insurance: This is a legal requirement if you employ any member of staff (including permanent, temporary, contractors or freelancers). The minimum level of protection is £5m, which will cover the cost of compensation claims if they get injured or ill at work.
  • Product liability insurance: Provides cover if an individual suffers damage or injury because of a product that you designed, repaired or serviced.
  • Environmental liability insurance: Provides cover in the event of an environmental incident such as pollution. This includes personal injury, clean-up expenses, damage to property, fines or legal expenses.
  • Domestic liability insurance: Provides cover in case a domestic member of staff (such as a cleaner, housekeeper or gardener) suffers an accident on your premises. 
  • Business interruption insurance: Provides cover for financial losses if you are unable to operate from your country estate and run events as normal because of a fire, major theft or a flood.
  • Building and contents:  Provides cover for your country estate in the event of flooding, a fire or theft.
  • Trustee liability insurance: This type of insurance is also known as indemnity insurance, and it provides financial protection in the event of compensation claims being made against trustees, directors, governors, committee members, officers or employees of charities.
  • Motor fleet and agricultural vehicles: Provides cover for any vehicles that you own or use on a personal or business basis. 
  • Fine art, antiques and jewellery: Provides cover for any high value items that your estate owns, in terms of physical loss or damage. It is important to ensure that these items are properly valued, to ensure that you do not suffer a loss in the event of a claim.
  • Livestock and bloodstock: Provides cover for any animals you own (including horses and cattle) in the event of death, theft, accidental and external injury, limited government slaughter, transit and infertility.
  • Farm property: Provides cover for commercial farm buildings in the event of flooding, a fire or theft.
  • Private and corporate events: Provides cover for any private or corporate events that you run on your estate, such as weddings, parties and conferences, in terms of cancellation, abandonment, curtailment, or rearrangement.


These are just examples of some of the types of country houses & estates insurance cover that we can arrange at HISL Brokers Limited. As we know that no two properties or estates are the same, speak to us today to find out which policies will best meet your needs.

What country houses and estates insurance do I need?

If you own a country house or estate HISL Brokers Limited can help you to build a tailored insurance portfolio which can provide you with the financial cover that you need in the event that things go wrong. In the event that, for example, a compensation claim is made against you, your property floods or your valuable items are stolen, we will help to protect you from financial liabilities and ensure that, wherever possible, your business can continue to operate.

When considering the cover that you need for your country house or estate premises, equipment or stock, it’s important to think about the total cost to reinstate or replace these on an equal basis in the event of any potential loss. Remember, if the worst were to happen and you have under-insured, you would be left out of pocket.

The cost of country houses and estates insurance

The reality of bespoke cover is that it would be difficult to say what it will cost you. The premium you will pay for your country houses and estates insurance policies will depend on several factors such as:

  • The size of your country house or estate.
  • The way you operate.
  • The number of employees that you have.
  • The number of valuable items that you own.
  • Turnover and risk for any businesses you operate.


You may also choose to pay for extra cover such as legal expenses, business and office equipment, and personal accident, all of which will have an additional cost.

At HISL Brokers Limited we understand that cost is an important factor for owners of country houses and estates, but it is crucial to ensure that you are properly protected in the event of an incident occurring. With that in mind, we will take the time to understand the specific needs of your estate and recommend the amount of cover that is best suited to you.

What else do I need to know about country houses and estates insurance?

It’s important to note that if your property is a listed building, it may be more expensive to insure due to the special materials and craftsmanship that could be needed to make any repairs.

It is also important to be aware that second homes, properties that are let on a residential basis, holiday homes (either in the UK or abroad) and boats/aircraft can also be covered under the same country houses and estates insurance policy, if required.

How can I get country houses and estates insurance?

HISL Brokers Limited have a team of experienced advisers ready to help you get the right protection in place for your property and estate.  

We will take the time to understand your specific needs. We are committed to delivering a completely personalised service, ensuring that you have the best possible cover at the best possible price.

To find out how much peace of mind costs, contact Paul Kerner by calling: (0)20 7220 9020.