Nightclubs, Bars, and Restaurants Insurance

When you own a nightclub, bar, or restaurant in the United Kingdom, it is vital that you have insurance in place to protect yourself, your business, your employees and members of the public at all times. However well run the business, trading could be impacted by external factors. Inside nightclubs, bars, and restaurants, there are a variety of different risks depending on what your venue offers. In busy environments where alcohol and food is served and entertainment is provided, there is always a risk that something could potentially go wrong.

A robust risk management and insurance programme can help your nightclub, bar, or restaurant business to respond quickly, maintain continuity and manage your reputation.

Find out how HISL Brokers Limited can help you to manage any potential risks and protect your staff, customers, buildings and equipment within a comprehensive insurance solution.

Your expert Gateway to the Lloyd's and London Market

Types of insurance cover your nightclub, bar or restaurants business may require

Insurance programmes for nightclubs, bars, and restaurants would typically include a combination of the following cover:

  • Business contents insurance: It is important to have insurance in place to protect the interior contents of your nightclub, bar or restaurant. This can include things such as fixtures and fittings, equipment and any furniture. When taking out a policy of this type, make sure you add up the value of all items, as this could be a costly mistake in the event of a claim if you do not have enough cover in place.
  • Business assets and equipment insurance: Provides cover for the things that your nightclub, bar or restaurant business needs to operate, such as computers, cleaning materials and stock.
  • Public liability insurance: Provides protection if you an individual suffers an injury during or if their property is lost or damaged, and it will give you some protection in the event of a claim.
  • Employers’ liability cover: This is a compulsory type of insurance for employers, regardless of whether the member of staff is permanent, temporary, volunteer, contractor or freelancer. The minimum level of protection is £5m, which will cover the cost of compensation claims if staff get injured or fall ill as a result of carrying out their required duties.
  • Buildings insurance: If you own the freehold for your nightclub, bar or restaurant, then you need to take out buildings insurance to protect your most expensive asset. The policy will provide cover in the event of flooding, a fire or theft.
  • Business interruption insurance: Provides cover for financial losses if your business can’t operate from its normal premises due to fire, major theft or a flood. This includes things like loss of income and rent and will help to keep your business operating if the worst should happen.
  • Stock insurance: Provides cover in the event that your stock (such as food and drinks) is damaged through fire or flooding, or if it is stolen.
  • Theft of takings: If you take payments in cash, then you may want added protection in case of theft from you, anyone working for you or your premises.
  • Glass cover: This type of policy can provide protection in the event that the windows of your restaurant, shop front and glass displays are damaged maliciously through vandalism.
  • Loss of licence: If you serve alcohol in your premises and lose your licence for reasons outside of your control, this will ensure your business can operate as usual.
  • Goods in transit cover: This will provide cover if your stock is damaged or lost while being delivered by post or courier.


These are just examples of some of the types of nightclubs, bars, and restaurants insurance policies that we look after at HISL Brokers Limited.

What insurance do I need for my nightclub, bar or restaurant business?

If you are responsible for the running of a nightclub, bar and restaurant business  of any kind you should consider taking out a tailored insurance programme. The wide variety of risks to both the staff and customers create the need for an insurance solution that provides comprehensive protection.

We know that no two nightclub, bar and restaurant businesses are the same, so speak to us today to find out which policies will best meet your needs.

The cost of insuring nightclubs, bars and restaurants

The combined premiums that you will pay for your nightclub, bar and restaurant insurance programme depends on the level of cover that you need and the breadth of risk that your business is exposed to.

It is crucial to ensure that you are properly protected in the event of an incident occurring. With that in mind, at HISL Brokers Limited we will take the time to understand the specific needs of your business and recommend the amount of cover that is best suited to you.

Importantly, we work tirelessly on your behalf to present your business to potential insurers as accurately as possible so that premiums are completely appropriate to your risk exposure. 

Insuring your nightclub, bar or restaurant business

HISL Brokers Limited is well placed to provide you with the professional support to review your current insurance programme and assess where you might be at risk from underinsurance, or even paying for excessive cover.

We understand that nightclub, bar and restaurant businesses face unique risks and challenges on a day-to-day basis, and that you need bespoke insurance that works for you and gives you the level of cover that is appropriate to the risks that you face.

Give your business the protection that it deserves today – if you want to find out how much peace of mind costs, contact Paul Kerner by calling: (0)20 7220 9020.